Sunday, May 10, 2009

Critique of Presentation Software



Before posting to this discussion, we read and watched various items relating specifically to PowerPoint presentations. These items gave us some guidelines for creating a 'good' presentation, as well as some things to avoid. By reading and watching the material related to this discussion, as well as participating in the discussion itself, I learned so much about PowerPoint!
  • When using PowerPoint, it is best to keep things simple. Many people have a tendency to write everything they want to say on the actual slides. This leaves the audience wondering why they need a presenter when they could have simply been handed the slides to read themselves. This also leads to a very boring presentation as the audience can read print much faster than we can read it aloud.
  • Presenters should always put themselves in the shoes of the audience, and ask "What's in it for me? Why should I listen to what you have to say?" If you cannot answer these questions or come up with a good enough response- scratch the presentation! Okay maybe not scratch the presentation, but seriously re-think it.
  • Pictures can really step your presentation up a notch. If your presentation is visually appealing, your audience will be more interested in what you have to say.
  • If possible, make your presentation interactive. Present some information or an idea and then have the audience do some activity. If this is not possible, at least change gears- i.e. don't stand up and talk for 20 minutes straight! Present an idea and then get audience feedback or watch a video clip.
I found the reading material and discussion to be extremely helpful and valuable. I have never created a powerpoint of my own until this semester, and I used many of the suggestions to hopefully make mine a good one. I think it all comes back to putting yourself in the shoes of your audience. Keep them in mind: What do they want to know? What would make this more interesting for them? What do I want them to know? How can I best communicate this information?

The only critique I have is that some of the discussions within the sub-topics ran together. It seemed as if the discussions on 'making the best use of powerpoint' and 'characteristics of good presentations' really talked about the same things. I feel like there could have been one or two fewer sub-topics, or the related questions could have been more more clearly defined so as not to overlap material and conversations. I did, however, really like the subtopic about 'how else can we use powerpoint?' I found this to be really interesting and enjoyed learning how others use this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment